Saturday, August 21, 2010

Paris - 1er jour

I'm still not fully aware that I'm in Paris, in France, in Europe - But yes, I'm finally here.

It's been a REALLY long day, let me tell you. I'm tired beyond exhaustion (that's what sleeping for 5 hours every night for a whole week does to you) 
The day started with breakfast at O'Rourke's - I had to say goodbye to good ol' Brian and his delicious concoctions, of course. 
Vegetable terrine with tomato and red onion salad, fig, and apple
Poppy seed cake with raspberry jam


Ran to Rite Aid to pick up some prescriptions and then drove to the airport. Logan's parking lot is beyond confusing, but I was finally able to find my way to Terminal E. Adam, also a junior from Wesleyan, and several other girls from Wellesley and other schools were already at checkin, and we slowly started chatting and getting to know each other. Finally, at about 2:30, my mother walked me to the gate, where she sad a teary goodbye. I will miss her greatly. 

Had my final dose of Starbucks (green tea soy latte) and a very spotty banana - that was lunch.

Boarded the plane at 4:45 - Seat 40K, which meant window seat! Dinner was served shortly after, and unfortunately, my request for a vegan meal wasn't fulfilled, so I ended up having some mediocre penne pasta à la provençale. I couldn't really sleep, but I did read most of Those Who Save Us, and even watched Shrek 4 - it was cute, but definitely not as good as the first two.

Breakfast was equally unappetizing, consisting of a chocolate chip roll, yogurt, and orange juice - I had the roll and the juice. I have a feeling I'm gonna lose a lot of weight on this trip... I've had three Luna bars to compliment my unfulfilling meals, and I'm still starving. I can't wait to go out and have a real meal tonight.

We got through customs in a breeze, and about 7:00 AM, Catherine Masson, the director of our program, was waiting outside Charles de Gaulle in a big bus, ready to take us to our hotel, the Citadines Saint-Germain-des-Prés, right across from Notre-Dame. I can't complain about my studio - I have a nice little sofa-bed, a clean bathroom, and a little kitchenette - All to myself, since I don't have a roommate.


My room!
View from my room

Random guy doing salutations out on the terrace

Cathédrale de Notre Dame


I'm all settled in, completely unpacked, and ready to get to bed to sleep for a bit until the group meets at 4 PM this afternoon. 

My sustenance until I'm able to do groceries/go out to eat

2 Comments:

At August 21, 2010 at 6:15 AM , Blogger Hannah said...

Julia! Your room is beautiful! Please don't try to be vegan in France; you will waste away to nothingness. Besides, you have to try that french smelly cheese for me!! I hope you are having a wonderful time. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

 
At August 21, 2010 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Julia said...

I am not vegan here at all! I have nothing to eat yet, that's why I've been having Luna bars... don't worry, I am having my cheese for dinner tonight!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home